Unfried Green Tomatoes
Cornmeal and flax encrusted green tomatoes are tangy, savory and just the right amount of crunchy–with no oil!
2 large green tomatoes
2 Tablespoons hummus
2 Tablespoons water
¼ cup cornmeal
3 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon ground flax meal
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Slice tomatoes into approximately 1/3-inch slices.
- Mix hummus with water. The mixture should be the consistency of a beaten egg. Adjust proportions of hummus and water if necessary.
- Mix flour, cornmeal, flax, and spices in a shallow dish.
- Dip one slice of tomato into hummus mixture. Shake off excess, then dip the tomato into the cornmeal mixture, lightly coating tomato.
- Repeat until all tomatoes are coated, and spread on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, flip tomatoes, and cook an additional 10 minutes on the other side.
- Serve immediately.